Decor & Design from Pickin' Cool Finds
Pickin' the Good Life...Vintage Style, Farmhouse Decor, Homespun Simplicity, & Country Charm

Monday, March 21, 2011

Keepin' Up With The Joneses

You've heard that phrase before...keeping up with the Joneses. It's about having it all and then some. The bigger, the better.


I was thinking about all of this while eyeing my garden that will soon again produce our fresh food and satisfy my indulgence of playing in the dirt. And then the thought came to me. Way back when, gardeners were filled with pride and joy over their little plot of land. Not the big, beautiful house. Nor the fancy car in the driveway. Just the GARDEN!


The garden of yesteryear. It made your back ache and your hands calloused, but it brought a sense of pride from working your land to provide for your family. A true connection to the soil was the status symbol of keeping up with the Joneses.


I am so fortunate to live in the country with a lake in our backyard with plenty of neighbors all around. And what is sad is that no one gardens. I take pride in my garden and enjoy those neighbors who admit they had to come over and take a peek.

I had one retired neighbor admit to me that he had to bring his house guests to my back yard to show them my garden. Those guests said it was one of the nicest gardens they've ever seen. Now I admit, they probably haven't seen too many gardens or they were just being nice. But who cares?


In my own simplistic right, I'm keeping up with the Joneses. It's about having it all and then some...with just my garden. 

Have a pickin' cool Monday,
Cindy  

4 comments:

Maureen said...

It's almost that time of year! Hurray!

It's kind of hard to believe given the area that you live in that you are the only gardener. Is there anything better than picking fresh tomatoes or peas and eating them right there down in the garden? I think not! Can't get fresher than that!

THE OLD GEEZER ~Ron said...

Keeping up with the Jones is a good thing when it involves keeping our homes up :-)

Take care and have a great week :-)

~Ron
******

OLLIE MCKAY'S ~ A Chic Boutique said...

Really LOVE the first photo ~ beautiful ~ this is what you get to look out the window and see every day??!! Amazing beauty!

Bliss said...

Look at the size of those stalks and leaves. Who wouldn't be envious of that! I don't have a green thumb but we plant anyway. Everyone has their gifts and talents God gave them. Don't worry about the Jones's..... in the gardening department you are the Jones's!

~Bliss~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...