Decor & Design from Pickin' Cool Finds
Pickin' the Good Life...Vintage Style, Farmhouse Decor, Homespun Simplicity, & Country Charm

Friday, July 1, 2011

Making Detergent

Making...my...own...detergent. Why has it taken me so long to getting around to actually doing it? When I finally decided to just go for it, it only took me minutes to do. How embarrassing! I really feel silly now since it's so easy!


I first purchased three ingredients - 20 Mule Team Borax, Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, and Fels-Naptha Laundry Bar Soap. I decided not to do the liquid version of the recipe as it makes quite a lot and it is just the two of  us here at home. 


To make the detergent in powder form, I grated the bar soap with an old grater. The Fels-Naptha soap did have a strong soap smell and I'm sensitive to smells. I may use another soap next time such as Pure & Natural Ivory or Dr. Bronners just to experiment. Anyone out there who has tried this have any advice? I'm always willing to listen. Anyway, I then added 1 cup of borax and 1 cup of washing soda. That's it. See why I feel silly?


When doing a load of laundry, add two tablespoons of the powder. Easy peasy! 
My next project? Making a country cute container to hold my homemade detergent. Stay tuned!

Oh, and what really got me started on all of this was all of my vintage and antique pickins'
including irons, hangers, ironing board, and more that I found this week. Most of it will go up for sale soon. I'll have to show you my 'laundry room' goodies in another post. For now...

Have a pickin' cool day,
Cindy


Linked Up Here:
Go Check Out The Fun!!!

12 comments:

Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Cindy ~ That is so much fun and it does seem pretty easy!
Thank you for sharing the recipe with us :)

xoxo
Lori

GARAGE SALE GAL ~ Deb's Earthly Delights said...

I make my own also for the last couple years and it's wonderful!
Love the berries you have..they look so delish!
Deb

Kristin said...

I LOVE making my own laundry soap!

Carmen C. said...

I've made my own as well and I use the pink Zote, it smells so good and fresh:) Can't wait to see the container you create;)

edenhills said...

That really is easy! I think I could even get around to trying that. Did you like how it performed in the wash?

Teresa

Kimberly said...

Been doing this for years and will never go back! It's so great to try something new isn't it?

Faith said...

I've done both the dry and liquid...I don't know if it is our water but after a while the clothes looked dingy...I'm not sure what I could do about that or I would try it again...

Cindy@OldTimePickers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cindy@OldTimePickers said...

Thanks for all the responses...

Carmen C - I just may try Zote next time. I've even thought about making my own bar soap to grate.

edenhills - I have not tried my new soap in the wash yet, but will soon. I want to finish up my store bought first.

Faith - Keeping my fingers crossed that it will do a good cleaning and not make things dingy.

July 2, 2011 9:57 AM

Maureen said...

Hmmmm....I already have two of the ingredients in the house. I'll have to get the other.. foil & hot water). On the stuff that's realllly tarnished it loosens the tarnish up and makes it easier to remove. The lightly tarnished stuff is usually completely clean.

Happy 4th to you and your family!

Alana Jo said...

I use this same detergent all the time. Works great. Beautiful photos!

Sue at Serendipity said...

We add a cup of oxygenated laundry booster to our recipe too and love it. Even in our well water it works very well so now our children use the recipe too. I don't mind the fels naptha smell but I will check out Zote.

Thanks to our daughter we now use straight white vinegar in place of laundry softener too. Very fresh smelling! (Dishwasher rinse agent replacement too-smart girl we raised!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...