Decor & Design from Pickin' Cool Finds
Pickin' the Good Life...Vintage Style, Farmhouse Decor, Homespun Simplicity, & Country Charm

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Lights, Camera, PROPS!


PROPS...I love props for the home and for my shop. 
For my online shop, I need lighting, a camera and lots of props. One can never have too many props!


So today, I had the urge to do some crafting to make some props.
I have plenty of books and thought some of them could use a makeover.

Well, first of all I need some books. 


I chose three. And I need some supplies. I dug up a few.


I have some antique love letters and postcards so I laid them out on my printer 
and copied them onto some aged looking paper.


This is what it looked like. I didn't need the whole sheet done as I'll be using a smaller book.


I decoupaged this sheet onto the cover of a small book. I did not remove the binding of any of the books I worked with as I needed them sturdy so they can stand on their own. 
For the second book, I took a piece of burlap and also decoupaged it to the outside cover and then trimmed off excess giving it a ragged edge.
The third book had a book jacket that was brown in color on the inside so I just turned it inside out. I had some old lace that I sprayed adhesive onto and placed it onto the brown book jacket.


These would look good on their own, but I wanted a bundle. 
So I played with my supplies until I found the look that I wanted.


Shabby...


Romantic...


Cottage sweet...


And a bit of farmhouse flair! And there ya have it!
If you want another version of altered books, hop on over to visit Carol at The Polka Dot Closet!
She is one of my favorite crafters and her books are pickin' cool!

My pickin' best to you all,

10 comments:

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Cindy ~
Those came out wonderful!! That is a great idea to just decoupage over the covers!

cynthia lee designs said...

So very pretty!!
I just love the way altered books look. I did up a set of books a while back...put a bow around them out of old crochet trim and added an antique key and locket.

Cynthia said...

Oh this is just so pretty! I loved looking at your pictures!

Karen said...

I love it. So pretty!!

Angela said...

Fantastic!

Gail said...

They are just gorgeous Cindy!

Enjoy our evening,
Gail

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Thanks for the shout out, I love your books, the lace is a great idea, and the key's, oh and I love the burlap, thanks for the inspiration for my next batch of books

Carol

Cheryl said...

What a fabulous look you have given to your books...love, love, love!
Thanks for the inspiration,
Cheryl

Faye ~ Wild Rose Vintage said...

Awesome idea!!!! I love how they turned out and what a great way to use newer books. I love it and I'm going to try it! Thanks!
Faye

Bliss said...

Weren't you the lady worried about keeping up with the Jones's? When you craft like this do you have any idea how many of us are trying to keep up with you????
How cute are those books lady!

~Bliss~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...