Decor & Design from Pickin' Cool Finds
Pickin' the Good Life...Vintage Style, Farmhouse Decor, Homespun Simplicity, & Country Charm

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chickens, Bees, or Worms


I've been a thinkin'. Hubby always says that's dangerous when I do.
With spring just around the corner, I want to try something new here at the old time homestead.
I love gardening and cooking with 'natural foods'.
So...chickens came to mind, but not to eat (we don't eat meat except for fish).
Fresh eggs, please!


I would really like to have chickens. Two would be nice.
I'd build a cute little coop cause I just tend to spoil critters around here.
And all girls have to have some cute.
They would repay me with fresh eggs and good old poop to fertilize the garden. Win, win.


But, that just is not going to happen. Problem. Hubby hates chickens. He really does. There is a story behind it when he was a kid. I won't go into it as it's his story. I'll just let you use your imagination. 
So I'll scratch chickens off my list of possibilities for now.

How about bees? I could have some hives. And I do enjoy watching bees do their thing in the garden.


And I love honey! Oh, I can taste it now.
But they may cause a problem, too. Hubby is allergic to bee stings. It's not pretty. So no bees.

I'm now getting desperate at this point on what would be a good addition to the old time homestead.
Been a thinkin' and a thinkin'! 
So how about some worms?!? Yes, my mind jumps all over the place like that.
Only I could think chickens...bees...worms.

Now I can't and won't eat worms, but... 


I like worms. They fascinate me. I always played with worms as a kid. And as an adult, I will carry worms out to the garden when I come across them. Is that weird?

Worms will provide rich compost and 'tea' for my garden. I will be putting good use to those kitchen scraps. And my Hubby doesn't hate worms and is not allergic to them. Ha!
I'm warmin' up to the idea of worms. 


  Been reading some books. Finding out that this is very doable.
So worms it is! I'll keep ya updated on how this all goes.
Maybe, I can even share some worms with ya someday.
Any takers?

Cindy

9 comments:

Jane said...

I have also thought abt raising worms,the tea would certainly be a boon to any garden. Blessings Jane

Bliss said...

Can the worms double as bait?

~Bliss~

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

My girlfriend raises worms ~ they kinda gross me out seeing them all in a big old bunch.
(almost sounds like a scary movie)
Give it a try ~ they are great for your garden!!!
Good Luck!
Prim Blessings
Robin

Cindy@OldTimePickers said...

Bliss...don't know if red worms which are for composting make good bait or not. They are different from earthworms which include the night crawlers that are good for bait. We don't go fishing so not sure how to answer that one.

Little Susie Home Maker said...

I am a chicken keeper and it has been a blast of an experience! But have you ever thought about keeping ducks? You still get great eggs and they are even bigger than most chicken eggs? Just a thought.
I just found your blog and am your newest follower. Come see mine. I have a little about chickens there and will be adding more in the future. In the mean time,I hope you find what you are looking for! Ha ha.
Blessings,
Susie
http://littlesusiehomemaker-lilsusiehomaker.blogspot.com/

Kelsie From Our Country Home said...

I would love to do worms...but have to pace myself on how much I try to "learn" about farming at one time...I need to finish in some other areas before I start anything new.

Good luck
Blessings Kelsie

Cheryl said...

Good luck with this new venture!
Worms are great for the garden and yes those little red worms can be used for bait. My sons use to use them all the time when they were younger and probably still do!
Have fun,
Cheryl

Maureen said...

Oh I was so excited when you said you were getting chickens! I want some! Maybe one day when I grow up.

I compost (outdoor) and it is such an amazing process.

Ngo Family Farm said...

Hooray for worms! A fine pick ;)
-Jaime

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...