Decor & Design from Pickin' Cool Finds
Pickin' the Good Life...Vintage Style, Farmhouse Decor, Homespun Simplicity, & Country Charm

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Need To Rake It In


I'm not completely talking about money here even though that would be nice. When talking about raking it in, it's all about pulling it together and getting my act in gear. The 'it' I'm talking about is our pickin' business. I'm so missing the picking opportunities when winter rolls in. And some of our favorite pickin' places are no more or have changed and cannot meet our needs. As I'm getting older (cough, cough) and want to continue doing this, I realize I may need to spread my wings a bit.


We currently sell on Etsy. Future possibilities include expanding our line with handmade items and vintage inspired farmhouse decor. I'm looking at doing a show this fall (it's never too early to start planning) and maybe even doing our own online shop.

~Rakes are from an auction I attended over the weekend.~  

So my question to you...
What works for you? What do you enjoy selling? And what venues do you use?

Please share,
Cindy

9 comments:

Bliss said...

I can't help you with your question, cause I like to be the buyer!

~Bliss~

Gail said...

Cindy I wish I could help you answer your questions as I have been thinking about some of them myself. Good luck and I hope you get some helpful feedback. Have a wonderful day, Gail

Maureen said...

I think all of your ideas are good. Certainly worth testing the waters.

Jann Olson said...

Sorry Cindy, I just buy, don't sell. Although I'm sure hubby wishes I would now and then. lol! You know you are living my pickin dream. I so want to travel the back roads and buy, buy, buy. I love buying old garden tools so the rakes got my heart rate up. lol! Best of luck!
Jann

ImSoVintage said...

I too am looking forward to spring and the yard sales etc. I have been thinking about new directions too. I have already added some handmade with vintage items to my shop and plan to do more. I also am contemplating new selling venues to add to me Etsy shop.
Laura

Patti said...

I don't sell...I would love to set up an Etsy shop - it's on my list of things to do!...but I will tell you that I have seen these rakes used as hangers for necklaces and if I had one, I would paint it bright red and hang all of my necklaces on it!

Poppy said...

I'm with everyone else. I'm the buyer, albeit a frugal one! My stepdad however always picked up great deals at garage sales and made quite a lucrative little side business for himself selling on ebay. I think Craigslist would be a good place to both buy and sell today.

When my boys were younger, I'd find garage sale deals on baby items, clean them up and sell them for twice as much. The ads in the newspaper started to eat my profits up a bit though.

Now, Craigslist makes it so easy to advertise for free!

Interesting blog by the way! I'm sure looking forward to following you!

Have a great night!

RaShell

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Cindy, I have three venues, the brick and mortar booth, my website and word of mouth. I also have an etsy shop but I have given that up for now because it is just too much to keep up with along with all the social media stuff we are supposed to be doing. It's hard to be constantly out hunting, making new items out of old stuff or refurbishing. It takes so much work and I could never live on the returns. I do it because I just love it. :) I keep thinking about a show but that seems like so much work to do all by myself.

outjunking said...

I have a booth that is in an antique mall does pretty good. But three years ago I got two tiny booths at an everyday indoor flea market and I love it. I sell off the old cheap and I don't have to be their to sell it, customers pay at one counter. This keeps the money turning over so I always have investment money for the sales. I also I buy stuff for it that is a good buy but don't want in my antique booth.
Good luck,
Lisa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...