Decor & Design from Pickin' Cool Finds
Pickin' the Good Life...Vintage Style, Farmhouse Decor, Homespun Simplicity, & Country Charm

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Bare Baskets


See my antique baskets hanging there? Naked they are! Right there on the front doors for all to see.
They look nice due the ornate backing, but there were arrangements in them. I had to remove them.


A lovely feathered couple decided to move in last week. Into the baskets. I heard a commotion out front and went to check. The one bird somehow became entangled in their own nesting material they had put in the one basket. I had to gently unravel as much as I could from the bird's wings. I decided I might need scissors to cut the rest so I would not hurt the bird. I went to retrieve the scissors and when I returned the bird was gone. I quickly removed the arrangements from the baskets leaving a bare look. 

You would think I would learn. One time I had wreaths on the front doors. One evening when I opened the door which opens into the house, a little wren flew in from the wreath and sat on the banister by our stairs. Okay, let's just shoo you out. I opened the door again and in flew mr. wren. He sat on our kitchen cupboards and decided to scold us all.

Hmmm...plan B. Shut off all the lights in the house. Turn the porch lights on. Open the doors and stand back. It worked. Out they flew and I quickly slammed the doors shut. We've had many critters come into our home. Someday I'll have to tell ya about the flying squirrel in our living room. Uninvited, of course.


Anyway, yesterday I walked out onto the front porch and there laid a bird's nest. Didn't come from the baskets on the doors. After examining it's shape, I knew it came from the top of the post on our porch. I reached up and tucked it back in place while a bird watched me. I went in and she flew to her nest and started working on it. It fell again. Oh for pete's sake! I went out and put it back. She came again and this time was able to accomplish her little task. Sometimes we just need a little help!

~Cindy~   

17 comments:

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

I had a bird once in the house...it was not fun...things were flying off shelves...
My girlfriend had flowers in her baskets on the front door and a wasp made a nest in it...She brought them in to wash off a bit...and out came the wasps...
Decorating our doors can be dangerous!!!

Maureen said...

Awww.....how sweet! Wrens really can scold you. I've had them at my kitchen window very loudly requesting seeds.

A couple of years ago we had a chipmunk family make their way into the house. We built a quasi-maze out of furniture and boxes to cordon them off. Crazy!

The Old Farm Bell said...

Hi! Cindy,

I'm slol about the bird scolding. Too funny!

You're a good mama, helping with the nest and all. Really thoughtful!

Love this post! Thanks! for sharing.

Have a sunny day!

Blessings & Hugs,

Marlene

Cheryl said...

Cute stories about all your critter friends! Nice you could help mama bird out with that nest.
Have fun,
Cheryl

The Old Farm Bell said...

Evening! Cindy,

What a pleasant surprise! Your feedback was much appreciated and you are entered in the Giveaway.

I will be having more Giveaways and new stock items in April. Hope you stop by again. Take care.

Have a wonderful week!

Blessings & Hugs,

Marlene

John Schindler II said...

Love your blog. I’m a lifelong antiquer, and am making my passion for antiques a full-time business by selling antiques online. I’m blogging about my experiences at my brand-new blog, Wisdom Lane Antiques: wisdomlaneantiques.blogspot.com. Stop by!

cynthia lee designs said...

We have a mama bird that makes a nest on our porch light almost every year and we've had to help her out a bit too.
Let's see...I've had a black bird in the house before, a squirrel, and a snake. We also had a mama raccoon have 5 babies in our chimmney and we had to have a wildlife trapper come to remove them...we made the news on that one.
blessings,
Cindy

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Cute stories ~ Cindy!!!
So thoughtful of you to help that poor bird out!!!
Prim Blessings
Robin

Bliss said...

I wanna hear about the flying squirrel. My visual of it is pretty darn funny.

~Bliss~

outjunking said...

Sweet post. I'm crazy for the birds, I never figured myself to become a bird watcher but they are so darn smart and cute. I just cut back some bushes by the house and as soon as I did I realized I had cut back so far that my robin friend would not be able to build there again this year. I just got carried away with those darn shears.

The Farmer's Daughter said...

This story is so familiar! We have birds nesting everywhere here at the farm. I don't even try to decorate until all the babies are gone. I love to watch them. It's just not spring without nests and babies.

Great story!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh, what sweet stories, I would never have thought to turn off the light and turn on the porch light, I would have been chasing the bird with a net for days!!

Carol

The Old Farm Bell said...

Morning! Cindy,

Congratulations! you are the winner of my blog Giveaway.

Just email me with your info. Thanks! a bunch.

Have a sunny day! Take care.

Blessings & Hugs,
Marlene

Cindy@OldTimePickers said...

Whoo-hoo!!! Thanks Marlene!

Jann Olson said...

Cindy it sounds like those birds are just wanting to feather their next in your warm home. Must be the place to be! So sweet of you to come to the nest builders rescue!
Hugs,
Jann

Little Susie Home Maker said...

awe! So sweet of you to help out these birds in need! We installed a bird house on each pole of our front porch. And the families that move in and out through the year are a joy!
Blessings,
Susie

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi Cindy, Your bird stories are cute! We have asparagus ferns hanging on the front porch and the sparrows like to make a nest in one of them. Hard on the ferns but I enjoy watching them!! I grew up on a farm and love animals. Nancy at Cozy Thyme Cottage

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...