Decor & Design from Pickin' Cool Finds
Pickin' the Good Life...Vintage Style, Farmhouse Decor, Homespun Simplicity, & Country Charm

Friday, November 16, 2012

The Adventures of Roo


Last weekend, I came home from pickin' and decided to unload the truck.
Roo came running to join me.
Reminder - Roo the Rooster is not mine.
He just showed up one day not too long ago and has never left.

He immediately saw his reflection in the truck.
And the entertainment began.


Hey...who is that good looking guy?


He's quite handsome.


Hmmm...let's see if he follows me.


Yep! He's over here, too!


Are you under here?


Nope! Time to move on!


His fascination with himself was quite comical.
I'm not sure what to do about Roo.
Yes, I've already named him. Unfortunately.

I know nothing about chickens and winter is just around the corner.
He spends his days in our yard and his nights roosting up in our tree.


Those leaves will soon fall from that tree and he won't have as much protection.
I just don't know what I should do with him and it's a worry. 

Critters keep adopting me and I had decided not to take any more in.
Darn it, Roo! I'm starting to like you.

Any friendly farm advice would be appreciated.


Photobucket

12 comments:

sweetvintageofmine said...

Oh my! You've got to keep him....he is too adorable! Yes, he really does like to look at himself and I have never seen a rooster in a tree (but I have never had chickens either) He obviously isn't a normal rooster? (more human like?) I can't give you advice on where to put him, I wouldn't know myself...I guess he needs a little house/building of some sort with hay? I will be back...I want to see others suggestions....Roxie

Pattie @ On Hollyhock Farm said...

I wish I was closer, i would take him. He is comical! If you have a barn or shed, he could roost in there for the winter. He looks beautiful. Some body must have dumped him by you.

Little Susie Home Maker said...

That is so funny! I love it! It is the time of year where predators will think that Roo is a great warm meal. So if you really want to protect him, maybe a dog house sized shelter that you can put some straw and a covered door. For the evening.
E=mail me, and I can give some more advise.
Bless you and Roo! Thanks for the comical pictures!
Susie

Primitive Stars said...

Hello, what a sweet Roo, sure hope he stays safe, worry with winter approaching.....great post....Blessings Francine.

Maureen said...

What a hoot! He obviously knows he has found a great place to stay or he would have left by now. DO you have a spare bedroom? Kidding! LOL!

Our Neck of the Woods said...

He is so funny! Very handsome boy. I hope you can keep him!

Do you have a garden shed of some sort? Or maybe a dog kennel or dog crate? He might be safe in the tree at night, but he looks kind of small so he may be easy picking for a predator. If you have any way to give him shelter that would be best.

cynthia lee designs said...

Roo is too cute checking himself out...even though he has no idea that it is actually him. Wish I could be of some help, but I don't know any thing about roosters.
hugs,
Cindy

Beth in NC said...

What a beautiful rooster. He does seem sweet. I'm guessing he is a nice rooster. We had a rooster that was nice until his natural reaction to protect his hens kicked in ... then bye bye Oscar the rooster.

I hope it works out for Mr. Roo.

Jeni said...

I don't know where you live, but the rooster will usually do just fine roosting in the tree and since he is used to doing that it may be quite difficult to get him to change his venue :-) It truly is their normal habitat. If you live in a very cold climate like I do, you could try putting a kennel or other small house under the tree where he roosts with some food in it(most household scraps will do except potato peelings) and see if he takes to that. You might want to put a dowel close to the bottom of it so he still has the option to roost. If you put him in the garage, etc., be prepared for him to leave his droppings anywhere and everywhere and he'll roost there, too. HTH.

The Farmer's Daughter said...

Oh, what a funny post! I AM "laughing out loud"! Keep Roo! One more animal will just bring more love. I'd come take him away from you if I lived closer!

Bliss said...

Stopping in to catch up this morn while I have my coffee and had to leave my comment on this post because it cracked me up! How is Roo doing, I didn't see a post anywhere that he left you.

Bliss

Cece said...

These pictures are just too cute!! We have a cardinal that is fascinated with the passenger side mirror on my hubby's truck. He can sit there for hours looking at the *other* bird.

Sissy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...