Decor & Design from Pickin' Cool Finds
Pickin' the Good Life...Vintage Style, Farmhouse Decor, Homespun Simplicity, & Country Charm

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

M*de in Chin*


Fill in the blanks above with the letter 'a'.
You know what I'm talkin' about.
A subject that is and always has been at the forefront for me.
It's a subject I've been ranting and raving about forever.


I remember at a party some years ago, I was laughed at for my view.
My view, way back then, was that we needed to be careful.
We could all find ourselves losing jobs here in the U.S. to overseas.


And then my family was affected personally.
My hubby's company closed some years back to move their operations to Chin*.
Sigh. So you can understand my attitude with M*de in Chin*.


So imagine my surprise when we went pickin' this past weekend.
We went to a nearby town that is well known for having antique shops.
What we discovered was that the number of antiques and vintage items has dwindled down to almost nothing.

The once adorable shops that lured us in are now stocked with M*de in Chin*.
If that is what I was looking for, I'd go fight the crowds in the big department stores.
Talk about disappointment. It seems to be happening more and more.

We did find...
1. A (broken) vintage stamp holder that needs a little TLC.
2. A cute, handmade apron with a heart pocket.
3. A wooden spoon which makes me wonder its true origin even though its tag stated handmade.

I can hardly wait for the warmer weather again so we can hit the road and do some real pickin'!

Photobucket

13 comments:

Primitive Stars said...

Morning Cindy....love the vintage stamp holder....Happy Picking, Francine.

Flat Creek Farm said...

Nice pickin's! And I totally agree.. hits a nerve w/ me. Getting harder to find anything at all that's made in USA. Hubs job was sent overseas (Germany) in '09. I have a GC to one of my fave shops.. which now meets your description above for lots of Made in C**** (unfortunately). So I will pick extra hard there to find something made in USA :) -Tammy

Okio B Designs said...

Couldn't agree more. We challenged ourselves to buy Made in USA only items for the past few months and I have to say it is quite the challenge. We want to support American workers but it's becoming so hard to do. =( I do love your finds!

Jeanine

thistlewoodfarm said...

Cindy....love all your finds and I totally agree! I try to buy handmade or vintage or made-in-America whenever I can....because one day we may not be able to!

blessings,
karianne

Maureen Wyatt said...

I'm guilty of frequenting the dollar store for crafty things but I do try to buy Canadian made, local, hand crafted, etc. for most things. I don't trust goods from a country that will poison children to produce cheap products and violate human rights to do it, too.

Our Neck of the Woods said...

That would be a disappointment! The whole reason I go to antique shops is to find old items that are authentic!

Hope the weather gets warmer soon so you can find some real treasures :)

Maureen said...

Sad. We all need to evaluate our responsibility in this. If we stop buying it, they'll stop stocking it.

Right now, to supplement my stock in the shops, I am looking to consign handmades - greeting cards, candles, signs, etc. (So if you know anyone....)

Happy New Year & great sales in 2013!

The Farmers Daughter said...

You know my opinion of Made In___ See I can't even say it! Love those photos--and your finds. I'm hoping to get out a little this weekend--going to the White Elephant sale!
Hugs,
Dru

Faye said...

Our feelings too! My dad, a WWll vet was pretty disgusted. You should hear my husband yell when he gets stuck with cheap Chin* screws, nails, etc. it's all junk and breaks before you can finish the job. It's about impossible but I do my best to avoid the cheap Chin* stuff, if only everyone would stick together and quit buying it.
Remember the day when our country put pride into quality!!! I'm afraid those days will never be again. I buy antique and vintage as much as possible, it's cheaper than the new stuff and at least it's quality!

Miss Kitty-Kelly Thomas said...

Love your pickin's...That little apron is a eye catcher! Wishing you a productive 2013!

Warm Regards,
Loretta & Miss Kitty

cynthia lee designs said...

Oh...don't get me started on this subject. You know that I do craft shows and I can't tell you how upset I get when I see other vendors selling stuff made from "you know where", but they tell the customers that their things are handmade. Yep...all my favorite country shops around here are now selling things made from "you know where" and there are very few handmades in these shops anymore.
hugs,
Cindy

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Cindy, I understand how you feel. It really is a shame. I love that apron!!! I really haven't been out to look for any finds lately. Must get out again!
Blessings,
Susie

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Cindy, I know just what you mean. I totally agree. Love your great finds. I look for made in the USA, but in many antique shops it is getting rare.
Thank you for stopping by and your kind comment. Yes, the pic is new taken last week.

Have a wonderful weekend,
Hugs, CM

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...